The following article discusses the benefits of doing business in the cloud…
Since its inception, the cloud has been adopted by businesses in countless ways to improve efficiency and profitability. Attractive because of it cost-effectiveness, the cloud environment provides the computing resources that are required to run your business on a pay-for-use basis.
Information stored in a cloud environment is less vulnerable to security threats, theft or permanent loss. In addition to being safer online, data is highly accessible, being available from any location or device, without the limitations of hardware and proximity. It offers business a measure of flexibility and security, while reducing overall technology expenditure.
“The Cloud simply refers to virtual space which can store store files, documents and information, as well as run applications, software and services online rather than directly on a computer.
This “space” can be either created in your office (on premise), or leased from a data center (offsite). The space can also be wholly yours (private cloud), shared between multiple users (public cloud) or a combination of both (hybrid cloud).”
Advantages of doing business in the Cloud
If you are considering moving to a cloud environment that is right for your business, here are some of the advantages of a cloud environment.
- Easier Accessibility – Information stored in a cloud environment can be accessed anywhere, at any time, from any device with security clearance. Being able to access information and run applications anywhere, anytime and from any device means business can also be productive anywhere, anytime, from any device.
- Better Connectivity – Organizations with multiple departments and locations, need to not only access information, but also simultaneously use applications. Applications that are run in the cloud connect multiple users as long as they have access to the internet. It allows them to share applications, communicate effectively and operate with current information.
- Increased Speed– Cloud-based applications operate from a base of powerful servers, storage and software. As a result, they perform operations and delivering information at high speed. For users, this means more time is spent using applications rather than waiting for applications to respond.
- Reduced Overhead– A cloud environment can significantly reduce your technology expenses. Shared (or Public) clouds, in particular, are cost-effective because they reduce the amount of office space and energy expenses required, and distribute the hefty expenses of hardware, management, maintenance and energy bills across multiple users. The overall expense is significantly less for each user, while the benefits are shared.
- Less Downtime– Most cloud environments (especially public clouds) have hefty investments in the maintenance, management and care of their infrastructure, its environment, physical security and the underlying software. This means their system is not only highly stable, but also primed for optimal performance so their users experience less downtime.
- Seamless Productivity– A computer failure or software crash can mean hours, even days of lost productivity. Information and applications running from the cloud, however, are always accessible online. Cloud environments help side-step lost productivity by allowing users to simply switch to another device (smartphone or tablet) and continuing work seamlessly.
- Better Data Recovery– Cloud environments are equipped with backup and data replication systems as standard. This means information, files and software stored in a cloud environment are more likely to have recent backups, which makes it easier to recover information in the event of a software crash, hardware failure, or power outage.
- Better CyberSecurity– Most cloud environments take defense-in-depth cybersecurity measures, and are managed, maintained and validated for posterity by professionals. As a result, confidential information, data, client files and documents are less likely to be compromised by viruses and cyber-attackers. Users also have more jurisdiction over which devices and which users can access to their data. This further extends to physical security if the cloud is in a regulated facility.
- Faster Innovation – Applications are constantly evolving. Applications that operate from a cloud environment are easier to update since it need only be done once for all users versus having to be updated for each individual user. As a result, all users the enjoy the benefit of working with the latest versions of applications.
- Easy Scalability– Operations from a cloud environment are easier to scale. Typically, the server infrastructure is managed by a cloud-computing provider with the ability to easily, and quickly, increase or decrease allocations based on an organization’s changing needs. The organization simply adjusts their plan, eliminating the stress of adding equipment and staff to handle growth.
- Better Hardware Utilization– Cloud users share server infrastructure as well as operating costs. Usage is essentially balanced out between the users, according to their respective workload highs and lows. In so doing, infrastructure is used more efficiently, and little is wasted.
- Better Energy Usage – A cloud environment lends to energy conservation, better usage, and a smaller carbon footprint. Because energy costs are consolidated and distributed by the cloud-computing provider, individual organizations have smaller energy bills, while doing something good for the environment.
How to get started with the Cloud?
If you are considering adopting cloud technology in your business, a great place to start is a discussion with an IT professional like i-Tech Support. Their experts have in-depth knowledge of the cloud and its application in different business environments. Their IT professionals can advise you on the best cloud options and ensure a seamless transition.
Do you have questions about applying cloud technology to your business? Contact i-Tech Support.
i-Tech Support, Inc. – The Technology to Achieve More
Established in 1999, i-Tech Support, Inc. offers world-class technology support to help businesses achieve more. With divisions dedicated to managed IT support, advanced technology, cybersecurity, cloud services, network assessments, software and consulting, our full service capabilities enable us to be a versatile technology partner for IT departments and businesses in Orlando and Tampa, Florida.
We support you with the technology to achieve more.
Does your business need IT support? Contact i-Tech Support: